Legislative Index Information
This is editorial information about events affecting the legislation or subordinate legislation made under the legislation.
- General information
- Subordinate legislation links
- Past and future operation
- Annual Index & Update
For legislation the text of which is included in an A-Z consolidations database, the home page for the legislation—
- displays the status of the legislation if it has ceased operation
- in the case of subordinate legislation, includes a link to the Act under which the subordinate legislation is made
- in the case of an Act, displays the Minister to whom the Act has been committed under the Administrative Arrangements Act 1994
- may display a warning about legislative events not yet reflected in the legislation on the website
- displays a table of available current and historical versions
- in the case of regulations—displays information about the expiry of regulations under the Subordinate Legislation Act 1978
- includes links to subordinate legislation made under the legislation
- may display links to other websites where an instrument made under the legislation or a law of the Commonwealth or another State or a Territory applied by the legislation as a law of this State may be accessed.
Statutes Amendment type regulations may appear on the screen as if made under the principal Act that has resulted in the need for the regulations (if they are made under a very large number of Acts). The PDF and RTF copies of the regulations lists all the Acts under which the regulations are made.
For legislation the text of which is not included in an A-Z consolidations database, the home page for the legislation displays information about the legislation from the Annual Index of South Australian Statutes.
Subordinate legislation links
Subordinate legislation is listed in connection with an Act on the home page for the Act as follows:
- there are links to all current regulations and rules made by the Governor under the Act
- there are links to or information about regulations and rules made by the Governor under the Act since 1976 but which have since ceased operation (although the information is limited due to a past practice of deleting the information once the revoking regulations had themselves ceased operation)
- information is provided about other regulations made under the Act by bodies other than the Governor since 1 January 1976 (if any), and court rules made under the Act since 1 January 1976 (if any), of a kind that appears in the Annual Index of South Australian Statutes
- in the case of the Aquaculture Act 2001 (SA) and the Environment Protection Act 1993 (SA), there are links to and information about the policies made under the Act
- there is a link to proclamations (other than some commencement proclamations) and notices made by the Governor under the Act in 2003 or a subsequent year that takes the user to the relevant place in the A-Z listing of proclamations and notices as made
- information is provided about certain proclamations and notices made under the Act and published in the Gazette of 1976 and subsequent years
Information is not provided about other rules that may be made under the Act such as those for lotteries under the Lottery and Gaming Act or about local council, hospital or university by-laws.
Links (at www.governmentgazette.sa.gov.au) to the Gazette in which the regulation or rule was published are provided for 1999 and subsequent years
Links may be provided to other websites where the text of the regulations or rules may be accessed.
References are not included to proclamations and notices considered to be of minor importance or available from some other source. An effort has been made to record the section number under which the proclamation or notice is made but this may not always be accurate because some proclamations and notices are made without express reference to the section. If 2 or more proclamations or notices under the same provision of an Act appear on the same page of the Gazette, only 1 entry will appear. For proclamations and notices made before 1976, see the index for the 1989 annual volume of South Australian Statutes.
The text of proclamations and notices made in 1999 and subsequent years can be accessed at www.governmentgazette.sa.gov.au.
Notices made under regulations are listed on the home page for the regulations.
Past and future operation
At the back of each PDF and RTF version of legislation there is a legislative history that sets out the following information:
- status notes—including whether there are any uncommenced amendments affecting the legislation
- if the legislation has been renamed, former names of the legislation
- a list of legislation repealed, revoked, amended or varied by the legislation—this is included if, in revising the legislation under the Legislation Revision and Publication Act 2002, the repealing, revoking, amending or variation provisions have been omitted from the legislation
- cessation information—details about the repeal, revocation or expiry of the legislation or the forthcoming repeal or expiry of the legislation
- details of the principal legislation and all amending legislation, including commencement details (New entries are highlighted in bold.)
- details of how and when provisions of the legislation have been amended or varied (The details provided about the amendment of provisions of Acts cover amendments made since 3 February 1976. For details prior to that date see the 1975 consolidation of the Act. New entries are highlighted in bold and entries relating to provisions that have ceased operation are displayed in italics.)
- details of how provisions of the legislation will be amended when uncommenced amendments or variations commence (The Office of Parliamentary Counsel adds these details to new versions if time and resources allow. Consequently, there are some cases where this information is not included.)
- transitional and other provisions associated with the legislation or amendments or variations of the legislation
- a list of historical versions of the legislation that have been published in printed or electronic form.
Legislative history information is presented in a different format and has a slightly different content in older historical versions (where only a PDF document is available).
Annual Index & Update
For those users who prefer to refer to the Annual Index of South Australian Legislation in its hard copy form and its cumulative fortnightly update, links are provided in the Information Box on the left of the screen. Please note that the legislation website databases are updated on a daily basis on working days and so the website will reflect legislative activity that has occurred since the closing date of the latest fortnightly update.
Considerable time and effort has been devoted to compiling this legislative index information as accurately as possible. The information is kept as up to date as possible within resource limitations. Given the amount of detailed information involved it is not possible to guarantee complete accuracy. If you find an error, it would be appreciated if you would advise the Commissioner for Legislation Revision and Publication by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. See full disclaimer.